Stained Glass Windows
*Pictures will be added soon*
The Wait Window
The Wait Window is now above the alter in the new St. Margaret's Chapel located adjacent to the Commons of the new church. It originally was above the altar in the original Christ Church built in 1882.
Although there were Episcopalians in Rolla in 1877 (the first service had been in 1869), there was no church structure. The first Director of the School of Mines, Charles P. Williams, was an Episcopalian, and he had worked toward the construction of a building for the congregation when he left.
Charles Edmund Wait, an Episcopalian, with his wife, Lelia (Beasley) Wait, came to Rolla in 1877. He had been selected as the second Director of the small and struggling Missouri School of Mines; he was only 28 years old. Wait helped accelerate the building program. In fact, he drew up the plans for the building that was constructed in 1882 on the 10th and Main Street lot donated to the Church by Mr. Charles Bishop.
Charles and Lelia Wait purchased the stained glass window for the chancel of the new church. According to the Rolla Herald of May 11, 1882, "The chancel has in its rear a large and very fine Gothic window of stained glass made by Sutter & Company of St. Louis, the colors being of the most brilliant hues, and reflecting rays of variegated light throughout the entire church. It is backed on the exterior for protection by a woven wire screen." It is thought that the window is dedicated in honor of their infant son, William, who had died in Rolla.
The Malcolm Windows
The five windows mounted in the light boxes on the north wall of the St. Margaret's Chapel, plus the Kate Window at the front door, formed the windows on each side of the sanctuary of the 1882 church. The original windows on either side of the church were narrow Gothic windows, pivoted to allow ventilation and frosted, with a red, blue and gold border of paper. Over the years these were replaced by the stained glass windows windows shown here, donated either privately or by the parish.
The center window of the the group is the Lord as Shepherd theme. This window has the word MALCOLM inset in the bottom of the windows and is dedicated to the Malcolm family.
The Andrew Malcolm family lived in Rolla from the town's beginning, 1860. Andrew Malcolm, a native of Scotland, part of the contractors "Malcolm & Lynch," started constructing the Phelps County Courthouse that year. Andrew died in 1878. His wife, Jane (Whitely) Malcolm, died in 1885. While living, Andrew became a successful business man and banker. He helped found the Rolla National Bank and he owned town-down real estate. Along the way he served on the first Rolla City Council of 1861. In 1871-72 he was a member of the local school board. David Malcolm was the son of Andrew and Jane Malcolm and was 53 years old in 1898 when he died. David was the president of Rolla National Bank/National Bank of Rolla. He had recently built a new home at 6th and Main. David Malcolm's funeral was held at the Malcolm residence and was conducted by Reverend Weddell of Christ Church. It is not known when the window was dedicated.
The window to the left of the Malcolm window has a dedication pane "In Memory of Minnie Seay Carhart, who died in Bonn, Germany, September 18, 1903." Minnie was one of the nine children of Edward Austin Seay and Gracia (Pomeroy) Seay. She lived in Rolla in the 1870s. Her parents moved to Salem, Missouri in 1880, but she retained friends in Rolla. Edward Austin Seay, her father, was born in 1834 in Virginia. The next year his parents moved to Franklin County, Missouri. He became a lawyer. In the 1870s he practiced law in Rolla and he became involved in business interests. In 1874 he was elected to the Missouri Senate. Minnie G. Seay married Paul Worthington Carhart in Dent County in 1899. By 1903 the couple were living in Germany, while Paul conducted research for Webster's Dictionary. The Rolla Herald Democrat of September 24, 1903 announced the death of Minnie. She had died at Bonn, Germany, either of sudden sickness or an injury.
The window to the right of the center window has a depiction of the Lamb of God and Cross. The extreme end windows are identical and represent a common design of the period. Who donated these three windows and when is not known.
The Kate Window
The Kate Window, set in its own frame between the main entrance doors from Main Street to the commons area, is one of the six side windows moved from the original Christ Church.
The two stained glass side panels to the Kate window were designed and made for this installation by current artists of Frei Associates, the original designers of the Circular Window.
Kate was a Rolla girl, the daughter of Rolla businessman Hiram M. Shaw and Mrs. Shaw. Hiram Shaw had multiple business interests. In 1875 he was the president of the Rolla Hotel Company, a group which built the Grant House hotel at the northwest corner of 8th and Pine in 1876.
On November 12, 1882, in a Sunday morning service, the new Christ Church was consecrated by Bishop Charles F. Robertson. That evening Robertson confirmed several individuals. Among them were Mrs. H.M. Shaw and Miss Katie Shaw.
The window was donated at an unknown date to honor the daughter of the Shaws.
The Circle Window
The Studley (Circle) Window of Christ Church Episcopal in Rolla which is installed at the top of the wall behind the altar is the original Circular Window as installed in the church built in 1950-51.
The window was a gift of parishioner George David Studley in memory of his beloved wife, Martha Price Studley, and other members of his family.
Since the window is in the North where the architectural features of the building prevents the entrance of sufficient natural light, auxiliary lighting has been installed behind the window.
The original design, drawn by Mr. Emil Frei and Mr. Robert Harmon, of Emil Frei Associates of St. Louis, was approved by the Diocesan Committee on Ecclesiastical Arts and approved by the Rector and Vestry of Christ Church.
The design is in rich blue and red colors and exemplifies by a triangle the Doctrine of the Holy Trinity.
At the top angle is the Hand, representing God the Father, and at the two lower angles are the Chi Rho, representing Christ, and the Dove, symbol of the Holy Spirit. On the periphery are waves signifying darkness that is being dispelled by the light that comes from God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit, the Three-in-One.
This Design, Mr. Frei stated, is an ancient one well known among ecclesiastical artists. Its traditional character will ever remind us of the changeless features of our Christian Faith as expressed in the Anglican Communion.
The Window was removed, cleaned and strengthened by Emil Frei Associates and re-installed in its new location over the Altar during construction in 2003.